Dr. C. Sachpazis is a First Tier Professor of the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, and a Member of the General Assembly.
Dr. Costas Sachpazis is a Civil & Geotechnical Engineer and an ICE Prize Award Winner Member of “The Institution of Civil Engineers” (ICE), with Membership Number: 67689219. He is the Founder and Managing Director of Geodomisi Ltd, and the co-Founder and co-Managing Director of the British Company GeoStatic Ltd. Over the years, he has acquired the following Degrees and Academic Titles:
- B.Eng (First Class Honours) in Civil Engineering at the University of Portsmouth, U.K., 2013. (Ranking place: Top student distinction because he achieved the highest overall grade in the cohort of 120 classmates).
- Diploma in Applied Geology. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Greece. 1980.
- Attendance of final year of Bachelor degree (B.Eng.) in Civil Engineering at the Newcastle University, England, 1982. (MSc Preparatory Course).
- Master (M.Sc. Eng.) in Civil-Geotechnical Engineering. Civil Engineering Department. University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, England. (Specialized in: Foundation Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Rock Mechanics, Laboratory testing-researching of Soils and Rocks, Engineering Geology, Underground water flow). 1983.
- Ph.D., in Geotechnical Engineering, at the National Technical University of Athens (N.T.U.A.) – Greece, 1988. Grade: Excellent Unanimously. Specialized in: Geotechnical Engineering – Rock Mechanics – Rock Testing.
- Post-Doc Research fellow invitation in Carbon Critical Geotechnics at Newcastle University, U.K., 2012.
Costas is a Professional Civil & Geotechnical Engineer, accredited by the Ministry of Public Works, holding a professional license scholar in category 21/C (Geotechnical Engineering), specialized on Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Dynamics, Soil Mechanics, Rock Mechanics, Foundation Engineering, Landslides, Earth Retaining Structures in excavations, Structural Modeling, Analysis, Design and Detailing, as well as on analysis of Ground – Foundation – Structure Interaction.
He has about 25 years of experience and involvement in applied research, consultancy services and design of Geotechnical and Civil Engineering Projects in both Public and Private sectors.
In addition, he is a Professor of Civil-Geotechnical Engineering in the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering at the University of Western Macedonia (UOWM), Greece, since 29 April 2019 to date. (Government Gazette (FEK) 2155 τ. Β 7-6-2019 & Government Gazette (FEK) 2151, B 7-6-2019).
He is responsible and/or teaches eight (8) subjects, concretely: 1. Reservoirs and Tailings Dams (MRE913), 2. Advanced Geomechanics and Tunnelling (MRE911), 3. Failure Analysis / Forensic Engineering (MRE893), 4. Retaining and Support of Surface & Underground Excavations (MRE811), 5. Rock Mechanics -Engineering Geology (MRE701), 6. Geotechnical Engineering -Soil Mechanics (MRE401), 7. Mechanics-Strength of Materials (MRE302), and 8. Industry and Mining Engineering Steel Frame Structures (MRE993) (Link), as well as Adjunct Professor at the Greek Open University in the Postgraduate (M.Sc.) programmes: “Waste Management” (2008 to 2011) and “M.Sc. in Earthquake Engineering and Seismic-Resistant Structures” (2014 to date).
He is also an Accredited Reviewer at the International Publishing Organizations “Elsevier” and “Springer”. He is an Industrial Expert, appointed by the Hellenic Republic Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs, for the evaluation and assessment of research proposals submitted to the Inter-State Programme for Research, Innovation & Technological Development between Greece and Israel. He has published numerous scientific Papers, Articles and Academic Books / Lecture Notes.
Additionally, he is serving or has served in numerous official positions as a chair of:
OFFICIAL EVALUATOR OF THE GREEK MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
- He is serving as an Official Approved Member of the Registered of Certified Assessors and Experts (Law 4310/2014) on Business Partnerships with Research Organizations of the “RESEARCH-CREATIVITY-INNOVATION” Action, in the Special Service for the Management and Implementation of Actions in the Sectors of Research, Technological Development and Innovation, of the Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs.
- He has served as an Industrial Expert, appointed by the Hellenic Republic Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs, for the evaluation and assessment of research proposals submitted to the Inter-State Programme for Research, Innovation & Technological Development between Greece and Israel.
OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ITA-AITES
- He has served as Official representative of the International Tunnelling Association (ITA) for Greece for 2014, in the Sector of “Conventional Tunnelling” –Working Group 19 (WG 19).
OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ISSMGE
- He has served as Official representative of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE), for Greece for 2015, in the Technical Committees: JTC1 Natural Slopes and Landslides TC303, Coastal and River Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation and JTC2 Representation of Geo-Engineering Data.
OFFICIAL EVALUATOR OF THE RESEARCH PROMOTION FOUNDATION OF CYPRUS (RPF)
- He is serving as an Official Approved Member of the Registered Certified Evaluators of the Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus, in the Innovation and Research Information System (IRIS), for the evaluation of proposals submitted to the Foundation under the RESTART 2016-2020 Programs for Research, Technological Development and Innovation.
EVALUATOR OF THE 2014-2020 NATIONAL STRATEGIC REFERENCE FRAMEWORK (NSRF/ESPA)
- He is being a member Evaluator of the 2014-2020 National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), which is the key strategic plan for the country’s development with the support of significant resources from the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESI Funds).
For more details click (pdf).